Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Best Laid Plans

I don't think I've ever stuck perfectly to a Camino itinerary, but I make one anyway. Since I live across the ocean, I have to buy a return ticket before I leave -- so some scheduling is necessary. And I admit it, I'm a planner. I like to play around with stages for walking, it gives me a better sense of security that I know where I'm going and when I should arrive in Santiago. It also allows me to make a reservation in my favorite little Santiago hotel, the Hotel Costa Vella. http://www.costavella.com/ And, on this trip, since some of my Spanish friends will come meet me for weekend walking, they need to know where to find me.

On this Camino, I've got four separate segments, and I've worked out tentative dates and places. So in case you're wondering where I am, here's a day by day. I plan to post here regularly and I'm sure there will be changes, but here's the basic idea. And by the way, the numbers in parentheses are kilometers, not miles. I may be a Camino addict, but I'm not a Camino maniac!

Camino de Madrid
Monday May 16 – arrive Madrid early morning, buy supplies, get credencial stamped at the Church of Santiago; see Camino friends
Tuesday, May 17 – Colmenar (27)
Wednesday, May 18 – Manzanares (16) (Happy Birthday, MARK!!)
Thursday, May 19 – Cercedilla (19)
Friday, May 20 – Segovia (31)
Saturday, May 21 – Santa Maria el Real (32)
Sunday, May 22 – Coca (22)
Monday, May 23 – Alcazaren (25)
Tuesday, May 24 – Simancas (31) (detour off Camino by bus to visit Vallodalid, sleep there)
Wednesday, May 25 – Bus back to Simancas late afternoon, walk 6 km to Cigunuela
Thursday, May 26 – Castromonte (23)
Friday, May 27 – Medina de Rioseco (13)
Saturday, May 28 – Villalon (27)
Sunday, May 29 – Sahagun (30-35???)

Camino Frances
May 30-June 5 – 7 days walking on Frances, Sahagun to Ponferrada (I'm familiar with this route and can play it by ear here , about 170 km with a stop in Leon)

Camino de Invierno, starting in Ponferrada
Monday, June 6 – Las Medulas (28) (Happy Birthday MOM!)
Tuesday, June 7 – Barco de Valdeorras (26)
Wednesday, June – A Rua (14)
Thursday, June 9 – Quiroga (28)
Friday, June 10 – Monforte (33)
Saturday, June 11 – Chantada (29)
Sunday, June 12 – Rodeiro (27)
Monday, June 13 – Laxe (27)
Tuesday, June 14 – Ponte Ulla (34)
Wednesday, June 15 – into Santiago (16?) (Hotel Costa Vella)

Camino de Fisterre/Muxia
Thursday, June 16 – Day 1 on Finisterre/Muxia route – Negreira
Friday, June 17 – Day 2 – Olveiroa
Saturday, June 18 – Day 3 – Muxia
Sunday, June 19 – Day 4 – Fisterre
Monday, June 20 – back to Santiago (Hotel Costa Vella)
Tuesday, June 21 – to Madrid
Wednesday, June 22 – HOME

One week from tomorrow and I'm off!

No comments:

Post a Comment